Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Simple Silhouettes

Photobucket

When I was in elementary school, my mom used to have us sit very still for twenty minutes while she would trace our profile, which was being projected on the wall by a lamp. It was tricky and time-consuming, to say the least, but all the children loved the silhouettes that hung upstairs.

Silhouettes are everywhere right now, and I never grow tired of them. There is something so classic and timeless about a silhouette. I wanted to make some of my family, but knew the old 'hold still for twenty minutes' trick wasn't going to work for the 2-4 age group. Guided by some instructions from Stephanie Nielson and my cousin, Christina, I used the simplest method imaginable to make our silhouettes.

Here's what you do:

1. Photograph each family member's profile. Be careful to make the dimensions the same for each person.

2. Upload the photos to your computer and select the size of photo you want. (Mine are 8x10.) Print the photos on card stock.

3. Carefully cut out the profiles. Pay attention to the tiny details--cowlicks, etc.--they make all the difference. (I may or may not have fudged and made my eyelashes extra long.)

4. Spray paint the silhouettes black (I used a matte finish.)

5. Mount the silhouettes on a white background and frame them.

Any questions?
xo,
anne

No comments: