Thursday, June 23, 2011

Showering Sara

Photobucket
{engagement photo by Danielle Wilson}

When my sister-in-law Sara got engaged to darling Shane, I jumped at the chance to throw her a shower.

The Decor:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Pom-poms (from an old Martha Stewart for Michael's line), my favorite lovey print, free printable banner from here-- "S and S" = "Sara and Shane" (a little cryptic, I know), and flowers with homemade wire picture holders.

The menu:
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Fresh fruit, bread, and salads galore (Caesar salad from Frankly Entertaining, farfalle with pesto and peas from Ina Garten, my SIL, Melissa's famous Greek salad, and my favorite spinach salad). To drink--chilled Kearns nectars and San Pellegrinos (the Limonata is my favorite beverage on the planet!)

The activities:
Photobucket
I'm not a huge fan of shower games, so the main activity I always do is ask the bride questions and see if her answers match those of the groom--which I have pre-recorded and are projected for all to see. (I don't make her chew bubble gum for wrong answers.) The video makes for a fun keepsake for the couple and is a great way for the shower guests to learn more about the groom. (I'll have you know I had to swallow my pride to post this picture because I loathe that printed chair--a classic thrift buy that I purchased fabric to recover, but...)
Photobucket
And of course we had presents--including family heirloom china. So sweet!

For dessert:
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Hand-dipped waffle cones (semi-sweet chocolate with coconut, walnuts, or sprinkles) with assorted ice cream, gelato, and sorbet.

To take home:
Photobucket
My mother helped me come up with this simple favor--giant oatmeal chewies and chocolate chip cookies. The twist? It's not for you, it's for your husband. Mom says, "If you come home with a treat for him, he will love showers!" Brilliant.

***all shower images by Stacey Morris

No comments: