Monday, September 8, 2008

He doesn't just cook

Here in Southern Oregon we have the amazing Children's Festival put on every July. I grew up visiting booth after fun booth doing tye dye, getting my face painted, making leather crafts, silk screen, pottery, you name it. Top it all off with a snow cone and you had the best day of summer every year (for $2. TWO BUCKS!) Naturally, we couldn't wait to take Blaine this year to do the booths designed for toddling folk like himself. It went something like this.
First ten minutes: play doh
Next five minutes: make name tag with glitter and sand
Remaining ninety minutes: sandbox
No kidding people, once the child found the sandbox it was game over. ("Blaine, do you want to do paints?" no. "Blaine, do you want a snow cone?" no.) Seriously an hour and a half and we still had to drag him out--at closing time!

Simple conclusion. The boy needed a sandbox. And, as it so happens, we live about 5 minutes from Home Depot. And, as it so happens, Taylor just got a saws-all and a drill for his birthday (thanks big brother, B!).

(check out the "I own power tools" grin.)
(Taylor's inventive burlap and bamboo pole cover would make the "Design on a Dime" (you do watch HGTV religiously don't you?) crew seriously proud.)
(He even found these fun little jewels for Blaine to dig up.)

(Major downfall: more sweeping and vacuuming in my life.)

(Totally worth it.)

11 comments:

Danielle said...

I am just dying about Tay's Indian style...

Alicia said...

That is really cute. I can't wait to have a house so I can make Brad do fun grown-up things like that for Elinor! (I mean come on, making a sand box for your child seems so grown-up!).

liz said...

Good job, Tay. That box is nearly identical to our square-foot-gardening boxes, so if you want to do that, you already have it all figured out :)

Anonymous said...

ah the sandbox! Best thing ever for a little boy. We've had ours over a year now and Henry still loves to play in it. in fact, he was in it for the last 1/2 hr.; he's in the bath getting clean and I am about to go vacuum the rug by my back door -- sand everywhere! but like you said, so worth it!

And how much do you love having a handy husband?

Emily said...

Claire is jealous! She LOVED the sandbox at Nanna and Grumpa's house... Tim is thinking about putting one in for her. Good job Taylor! And, yay for Blaine for loving the sand!

Megan said...

We also have a homemade sandbox. I try my darnest to keep it covered from the rain... but yesterday I come out to find that the boys had mischievously taken the hose and were filling the sandbox with water. That dang mud stains their clothes! But they have a great time... and that's what counts. Good job, Tay! It looks awesome. Can he make a cover for me? :)

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

That's genious! And do you love that you have a house that you can think to yourself, "Hm, I"m going to build a sandbox"?? I keep thinking I want to splash paint on my walls just beacsue I can...I OWN THEM!
ps. I need to see some major pics of Roger. Have no idea what the kid really looks like nowadays!

Joan said...

SUCH a great idea!? Anything and I mean ANYTHING that will get all that little boy angst out of my Jimmie is good news...but the fact that it is cheap to boot! I mean, a fifty pound bag of sand at HD is like, what? 5 bucks?! Few pieces of wood, nails, etc! WHA-LAA! I am so impressed. Good work, Daddy Tay!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! That's all there is to it.

The Ramptons said...

Brilliant you guys. I have been wanting to make one for my kiddos for such a long time. Tay can you come to Texas and make one for your dear neice and nephew? Thanks...see you soon.

The Lindsey Ladies said...

oh boy, Keaton is just giddy to get dirty in there!