Friday, December 12, 2008

Where I think you should buy your Christmas presents: Part 5

The older I get the less I care about my own wish list (although let's be honest, I'm 27 and I still have an actual, physical wish list) and the more I love giving meaningful gifts. Not only to my dear ones, but also to those in need.

With the economy where it is right now I have been thinking a lot about people who are truly in need. I saw a woman from Ohio on the news the other day whose story made my heart sink. She and her husband have both been laid off from their jobs. Unable to pay their rent, they moved their family (5 children) in with his mother. Then her house went into forclosure. So the whole family is now without home and can't afford winter boots for the children. The mom wept as she explained how she almost doesn't want to take the kids to see Santa this year because she doesn't want them to get their hopes up.

Obviously there are people all around us who need help, whether it be our money, our time, our service... Here are just a few ideas and links I have for this year.

1. Taking an ornament off a giving tree is always fun.

2. Doing an anonymous "12 Days of Christmas" is fun and I think would be a really great family tradition to start. The kids get into the excitement of the surprise and into the spirit of giving. (Today's the 12th so start today!)

3. There are a lot of fun ways to donate to the Nielsons. This one looks especially intriguing.

4. If you haven't heard Carol Decker's story, you need to. Click her name to find the family's blog--where you can read her story and get involved in fundraising efforts.

5. My friend, Sally, recently organized an amazing auction to benefit her friend, Becky, who is in the throes of battling cancer. Click HERE to find out more about her and contribute.

6. For a few years Taylor and I have been sponsoring a child who lives in an orphanage in Ukraine. This is part of something called the TOUCH project, which was started by some of our relatives-by-marriage. They do amazing things for these children in Ukraine, and the sponsorship is only $60 for the whole year. If you're interested in participating, read more about it HERE.

I am certain that I could be doing more. Maybe you feel the same. If you have more service ideas this Christmas, please share!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Anne, thanks so much for all of your ideas...but especially this one!

Sally said...

This is so great. I want to give to all of them.

{Katie} said...

Very good ideas, Anne! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

thanks, anne. love you.

The Jensen Clan said...

Anne! Your blog is so beautiful and I love the things you post! I was wondering if you can send me your email address? You can send it to sjensenclan@gmail.com hugs xo