Sunday, January 11, 2009

Honor

(Talk about your worst photo op ever. Who waits until the end of the party to snap a pic? Me. The magical ice sculpture had melted past recognition!)


Dear Dad,

When I walked in to the country club and saw your name, "Dr. Roger V. Hall, M.D." on an ice sculture that was home to pounds and pounds of delicious shrimp, I thought, "Wow. I think that's when you know you've arrived."

We heard all sorts of great stories and accolades at your retirement party. It was a beautiful night. I loved looking back at the sea of people--a very diverse sea--and thinking about how loved and respected you are in the community.

Of course I don't have any stories of being in the operating room with you cracking open some guy's chest. The closest I got to that was doing rounds with you one day (career-shadow day) in 8th grade. And a few times you took me to the cath lab with you to look at some films. I liked walking through the hospital with my dad and saying hello to all of the nurses and docs in the Coronary Care Unit. Other than that the only experience with the reality of what you did every day came from rare stories around the dinner table or seeing you pop home to turn the garden drip off in your scrubs and blood-soaked tennis shoes.

I can remember lots of nights lying in bed and hearing the phone ring at some unheavenly hour. A few minutes later I would hear the garage door go up and your little red pickup driving away. Sometimes you'd have to miss volleyball games (that's OK, I wasn't playing much anyway) and I can remember at least one dance recital during which you were out in the hall answering a page during my tap dance. That's just the way it was. And I didn't mind a bit. I knew you were working hard to put food on our table. What I didn't think about much until Friday night though, is that you were serving so many others at the same time. Thinking of how many hundreds of people's lives you lengthened really moved me. You gave them more time with their beloved families. Missing a lit bit of time here and there with your family so you could give people decades with theirs sounds alright to me.

It is an honor to be your baby girl.

Loves,
Anne

6 comments:

Christina said...

Jason wants to know who that guy is in the background. I mean who waits until the party is all over to pile up their plate!

Sweet tribute, Anne. Your dad is an amazing man. We are so grateful for his example in our lives.

Traci said...

Anne I love this post almost as much as I love and admire your dad! :)

Kate said...

I still think it's crazy what your dad did for a living. He's so meek and quiet and yet he cracked open peoples chests. Kinda crazy! What's he up to now... farm life??

and your mantel looks great! Can you come do mine now?

Joan said...

You posting fanatic, you! I haven't visited your blog for what seemed like a few days and wha-la! You have forty nine posts for me to read! :)
Congratulations to your darling Dad. I will never forget what he said at your wedding luncheon about Tay needing to beware of you in the sack! haha. Can't remember exactly what he said but their wasn't a dry eye (from laughter) in the whole room!

Anderson Family said...

I talked to my dad the other day and he was telling me about going to that party for your dad. He was amazed at how many people were there and we were talking about what a great man your dad is. I have been blessed to know him and your whole family. My dad is worried that he might get a little bored however! Love you girl!

The Lindsey Ladies said...

Anne what a great way for your dad to end his amazing career. It was great to hear all of the stories from your dad's collegues, and incredible to hear them speak of their own family members that your dad had helped. And your dad's speech killed me, he is so funny in that quiet Roger way that only he can pull-off. Great party!