Friday, January 16, 2009

Promised Profundity

Last Friday evening at my father's retirement party, I saw several people I hadn't seen in years. Ten to be precise. There I was, chatting with parents of my old classmates, reporting on what I am doing with my life. As they told me about their children's careers like physical therapist and teacher of underprivileged children in New Orleans, I boldly claimed mother as mine. I was proud (and a little surprised) that I didn't even wince. (Yes, it has taken me almost three years of being a mother to love my choice to leave my teaching career behind so much that I don't feel insecure when my new vocation is held up against those more heralded by the world.)

And as I told of how I love my two sons and being home with them all day and how I am so thankful we can afford for me to do so, some thought began to occupy my mind.

"Did you make mothering your career today? Are you taking your career seriously? Are you putting the mothering part of your job first (and not the cleaning part, the organizing part, the decorating part, the cooking part, the exercising part, or the blogging about all of it part)? Do you spend more time working on puzzles with Blaine or tidying puzzles? Do you snuggle with Rog or do you just change his diapers and send him on his merry way?"

Of course you have to clean, change diapers, pay bills, take the garbage out, and fold laundry. Those are all part of the gig. But sometimes I get so obsessed with checking things off my to-do list, that I don't just sit down and play with my children. Some days it's "how can I keep you occupied so I can do what I want to do?" Don't get me wrong. Mothers have needs too. But am I balancing? Prioritizing?

Sometimes I do things like facebook or blog and let me kids run amok. "Holy cow," I said to Taylor after the retirement party epiphany. "I am one of those people who plays solitaire at work!" Again, don't get me wrong. I am not condemning me (and maybe you) for taking time for personal things. I am, however, advocating that people like me reevaluate how we spend each day.

This has got me thinking about job performance and security. If I were going in to work every day I would theoretically work hard and stay on-task all day, right? Concerned about keeping my job, hopefully getting a raise, and keeping my good name, I would be doing everything in my power to perform well. Do I do that as a career mother? Obviously I don't have to worry about job security--I get to keep this job forever! But I sincerely think this is the most important job on the planet. And don't my children deserve my very best?

So I am trying to be more mindful each day of balance. Today when I tried to write this the first time, I played Perfection with Blaine instead. When I tried to write it the second time, I had a PB and banana snack with Blaine instead. And while I'm writing it right now a naked Blaine (potty training-wish us luck!) is sitting on my shoulders and his lemon sucker (potty training-wish us luck!) is now stuck in my ponytail. And I am (sincerely) loving every minute.

10 comments:

brittani c. said...

more women need to share your attitude: being happy with where your life is in the moment...especially when it comes to raising your kids. it's such a shame that something as special as motherhood is foolishly demeaned by members of society. oprah needs to call you up and put you on her show ;)

Danielle said...

Thanks for this reminder Anne. I love this!!

I think you are such a good mom, but your ability to constantly self-evaluate makes you a great, fabulous, spectacular mom. And a good example.

Its all about balance, and I think that is kind of an eternal progression.

families are forever said...

"How we spend our days is how we spend our lives"

What a wonderful life you have! smiles Danette

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen that object lesson that tries to fit water, sand, rice and ping pong balls into a jar? If you start with the balls, then add the rice, then the sand, then the water, you can fit it all in because all the smaller stuff fills in the gaps around the bigger and the water just soaks in at the end. But if you try to arrange it any other way, it gets messy and you can't fit as much. the balls are (obviously) supposed to represent the most important things. anyway, I guess my point is that most of the time, we should put mothering first and fit in what we can around it -- and if we do it that way, hopefully we'll be able to fit some reading, or sewing, or whatever it is that restores our sparkle, in too.

well said, anne. this is something i'm constantly evaluating, too. i'm currently trying to find enjoyment in things like sword-fighting, wrestling, and pretending to be Zurg ... hard!

Anonymous said...

meh...i feel like my comment came out dumb. mostly, i just wanted to say this balance you've written about is one I'm constantly trying to find and I think your ability to be introspective is a gift that helps us all.
and the whole ping pong/rice/sand analogy? i guess it just seemed like a good visual reminder for ME to fit the important stuff in first.

Kate said...

I always feel like I leave such lame comments, but I just wanted to say that I liked this post. You are a great mom. Thanks for setting a good example to always be self-evaluating and deciding on what's really important and how to keep that on the top of the list. Keeping balance can sometimes get tricky and hard but I agree that's what is important!

aaron and meg facer said...

You should submit that for publication! An Oprah appearance would be nice too, you'd definitely hit the right audience.

Well said. Thanks for your example.

lori said...

This, I LOVE. The balancing is such a battle some days, isn't it??! I love the quiestions you pose for daily consideration. I love the perspective you have. I'm glad to rub technological shoulders with you so I can glean from your wisdom!

Joan said...

I thoroughly enjoy getting inside Anne's head and hearing her thoughts. Her self awareness and honesty are refreshing.

Topsy said...

That was absolutely perfect. Thanks