Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sisters (part two): More on Liz

I am loving all of the dialogue so far. Keep it coming, please!

So here's a little more about Liz. She is six years older than me and I'd say we're quite close. We're not as snuggly as some are. (I'm still wondering why not, because we always seemed like a pretty affectionate family, but I guess we weren't compared to Taylor's family. Where was your family on the physically affectionate scale? Where do you want your current/future family to be? I'm a serious snuggler.) Anyway.

Liz was very nurturing to me as a little girl. She would still play Barbies with me when I was 8 and she 14. Not because she loved to play Barbies, but because she loved me. When I was 7 I still sucked my thumb. A lot. Like sucked it raw. Got used to the taste of Tabasco and everything else that Mom and Dad tried to get me to quit. It was a little embarrassing to be in first grade and still suck my thumb. I could control myself most of the time, but when they showed a filmstrip (our kids won't even know what those are!) or every Friday when we got to watch Reading Rainbow (gotta love Lavar Burton), and the lights were low, I'd sneak my thumb in my mouth and have a good suck. I think Mom ran out of ideas. Then Liz got involved. She asked me to look through my little Barbie booklet and pick out something I really wanted. Barbie and the Rockers' Cafe. Definitely. Had to have it. She cut the picture from the advertisement out and taped it around my thumb. "If you go to suck your thumb you'll remember how much you want it. If you can stop sucking for good, I'll buy you the cafe."
Problem solved. I loved the cafe.

A couple of years later Beth and I were really into play food. Beth had the mega cool kitchen and I wanted one so bad. (I mean, what good was all that food without a fridge or oven?) I think by kid #5 Mom and Dad thought we had enough toys, you know?! So for Christmas Liz made me a kitchen out of cardboard boxes and contact paper. She drew the stove elements with a sharpie. I loved it. In fact, Mom dug it out of the depths of the hall closet this week and I was flooded with happy memories. Both of playing with the kitchen and of how much work my sister had gone to to make me happy.

When I was 12 Liz was a high school senior. She would often let me tag along with all of her cool friends. I can remember getting to go to ice cream with her and her friends after one of her Chamber Choir concerts. I felt like a million bucks.

You should see Liz and Matt's wedding video. Outside the Jordan River Temple (in Utah) Liz and Matt greet family and friends as Liz's veil blows around in the blustery wind. Every 3 minutes or so I come up to Liz and hug her and hang on her (I'm about 14 I think). It's hilarious now--I look rather pathetic. But I remember the week after the wedding I was so depressed. I missed Liz so much and now she didn't need me--she had Matt. (14-year-old point of view.) Anyway, I was pretty attached.
(Liz (newly pregnant) conquering the ropes course at our fam reunion at Aspen Grove)

And now everything is different. We're both grown-ups and have families of our own. I think we're as close as ever, though. Liz and I could talk and talk and TALK forever. About anything from Sarah Palin to Britney Spears to how interesting it is that on the west coast it's Best Foods Mayonnaise and on the east coast the same product is called Hellman's Mayonnaise!
(Blaine, Mary, and Jon turning into raisins.)

Like any mother Liz has days when she is so frustrated that her house cannot seem to stay clean longer than 2 minutes and that one of her four children is throwing up--again. But she is dedicated to being a 100% stay at home mom. She is incredibly brilliant (has a degree in Math for heaven's sake), and has had lots of people ask her how she could stay at home instead of having some great career (like her brilliant mind is wasted on her small children). She remains stalwart in her cause. And I love to watch her at work. While in Utah this month I made several visits to her home. One night Taylor and I drove up to her 1940s white house with ivy growing up the side and a perfectly hung porch swing out front. As we pulled into the driveway I looked in the kitchen window to see Liz with her green apron over her cute (I can call it cute if I want to, Liz!) pregnant belly helping her children make dinner. As Taylor, the boys, and I walked in we smelled the classic Hall family homemade clam chowder and the pear butter she was making from the pears she and her children had carefully picked and ripened. She was helping the children stir and add ingredients. As I walked further in the house I saw all of her clever Halloween decorations--the Halloween plates on the wall, the candy corn jars, and the scary noisy scull (purchased at Jon's request). There were mountains of carefully folded laundry on her bed. Her house was tidy. She had been working hard all day. I just kind of drank it all in. She looked so beautiful there with her kids and I thought about how I wanted to be like her.

(Mary and Blaine dining togeth.)

Another night I visited alone--when Taylor was in Toronto. It had been a long day. Liz's body (it its 10th pregnancy) was achy and exhausted. But it was Monday and Mormons try to make every Monday a Family Home Evening. So Matt got on the piano and rounded the kids up with the FHE song. I sat backed and reveled in Sam, Ben, and Jon singing "Called to Serve" (a missionary song) with the perfect pitch they inherited from their parents. I marveled at how well they could read from the Book of Mormon. I was impressed by Liz and Matt's patience with their energy, their boisterous voices, and their small squabbles. And, as I had been thinking about my ability to care for their children if called upon, I felt two things. First, overwhelmed. My life as a mother seems complicated, but it is nothing compared to Liz's. And she is doing it all so well. How could I match up? Thankfully the second thing I felt was totally reassured. Reassured that I could do it with help from God. And reassured by the absolute joy and delight and love I felt around those four children. I could love them as my own.



Are you close with your sisters? (geographically? emotionally?)
If far away geographically, how do you maintain your sisterly relationships?
How do you think you could strengthen a weak sisterly (or any familial) relationship?

11 comments:

Megan said...

Makes me want a sister! Well, my sister-in-laws make up for it, but I don't think it's the same thing :)

Funny that you guys went to Aspen Grove this summer... we must have just missed you. We were there in July.

Oh, and the mayonaise thing. I can't believe how many brands out here have the exact same packaging, logo, etc but have a different name! Dreyers is Edy's out here for example. Anyways, boring. But weird to me :)

Barb said...

I am close to my sister (both geographically and physically) but it took several years of us doing our own thing for that friendship to grow. We are only 18 months apart and for most of our growing up years, that meant we longed to be different. We ended up at the same college but in different sororities, with different friends, and if we participated in the same activities, we did it in different years.

Now that we are both married, we are best friends and socialize all the time!

Rachel and Jared said...

Ok, so this is way off topic but I made Eggs Benedict this morning and I need a better holiday sauce and was wondering if Feed your family might post it (since we know you had some recently at 12:00pm)! We miss you guys too.

Rachel

Danielle said...

Gosh Anne, what a lovely post. I love all of these stories about Liz. She is so sweet and generous...and humble. I loved that little scene you described from her home, because if you believe what she writes--she is no fun;) Obviously not true. I want to be like her too!

Did you bawl all the way through this?

and PS. I remember when Liz got married and you were pretty sad about it.

Kate said...

That was beautiful Anne. You are lucky to have each other!

Christina said...

Sweet tribute. Your family is awesome - how great that your sister that convinced you to stop sucking your thumb, you don't usually find generosity like that in teenagers!

brittani c. said...

Thanks for taking me down memory lane, Anne: watching Reading Rainbow at school and the infatuation with Barbie and the Rockers. I love it.
Sisters are the best and they are all I have. I've found that the older we've all gotten, the closer we've been (probably b/c of the age gaps between all of us). What a fun post about your sis. Relationships with sisters are so special.

liz said...

I'm feeling totally overwhelmed by this post -- would it be too weird to frame it? Because I'm not sure I'll get this good a tribute again until my obituary.

A couple of things I'll have to clarify...I'm pretty sure I still liked Barbies when I was 14, so good thing I had a younger sister for cover. I don't actually remember making you that kitchen -- usually I think my memory is as good as yours, but that one is just gone. Can you send me a picture of it? I'm pretty sure my senior year choir friends were not "cool," but it was very charitable of you to describe them that way. I was pretty proud of my ropes course performance this summer, but could everyone say a little prayer right now for little Mary that she didn't inherit those legs? Yikes.

I loved how you described my current life -- reading your impressions of it made me like it more than I have been lately. I wish you could be here all the time, because that would make it even better.

kira said...

As one of her sis-in-laws I have to say I was super excited when Liz moved into town. She rocks!!

Anonymous said...

what a treat for tired, pregnant (but still CUTE), wonderful Liz to read such a kind tribute. loved the childhood stories. you guys are blessed.

As per your questions:
Even though I am geographically far away from my sisters, I really, really love them. And miss them. As Kate gets older, I'm feeling especially close to her. And I'm sure as our life experience becomes more similar, I'll feel closer to Halley, too.

I hope we get one more girl so Lily will be able to experience all the joy of a sister.

Can't wait to read about Kathryn!

Mary said...

Anne- I just had to tell you what an impression this post had on me. Beautiful words! you have an amazing gift of expressing yourself! I love you blog...i've been peeking for sometime I hope you don't mind (:

In responce to your questions, my sisters hubby has been deployed to Iraq for a year! I know 1 year with 4 small boys. My heart aches for her and yet I don't feel like i'm there for her like i need to be, like a sister should be. Your post as well as the whole nei nei situation, has inspired me to do a little better. Thanks I needed a good wake up call! Nothing like sisterly love.

Love, Mary
marybporter@gmail.com

P.S. Oh my gosh your boys are darling!