Monday, January 5, 2009

To carry all her free groceries in

If there's one thing my mom's good at, it's finding a bargain. Here's a typical shopping report: "Well you wouldn't believe the deals I got at Macy's today! Their children's clothing was marked down 30%, plus I got an extra $10 off coupon in the mail, and if I used my Macy's card I got another 20% off, so I got two pairs of little boys' pajamas and it rang up to 72 cents!" (That is a true story. No fudging here.) She clips coupons and shops so smart at the grocery store that Albertson's ends up paying her to go home with their food. For real.
If there's another thing my mom's good at, it's being green. She is all about the three R's. (If you don't know what the three R's are, I'm going to tell on you (to Al Gore).)
And so I knew what my handmade gift for Mom should be this year. I found this gorge fabric at my favorite downtown Ashland shop (Fabric of Vision). I knew Mom would love it because she loves birds. (She loved birds before they were cool.)
And, with the help of my mother-in-law, I sewed her this reusable grocery tote.
(If there's yet another thing my mom's good at, it's posing for a picture. She taught me well.)



So there you have it. Let the handmade gift parade begin!

5 comments:

Christina said...

So cute. And thoughtful.

families are forever said...

When visiting Russia the store bags cost money or if you made a large purchase they would give one for free. Having the payment for the bag on the bill receipt helped many people go green, they definitely recycle. smiles Danette

ps love the bag!

liz said...

I want one of those!

Sally said...

I love it. Your Mom is great to be so thrifty and green. I'm too lazy to clip coupons and look for bargains, even though I'm sure it would help our bank statement every month.

The Ramptons said...

cute rosanne, what a doll. and nice work on the bag!! gotta love sewing at 1820 Greenmeadows way!